Saturday, March 15, 2014

WHO OWNS THE FUTURE? IT COULD BE US!


I am a true believer in Technology - I love computers, Blackberries, E-Mail, Faxes, Facebook, 4-Square, Twitter, Houzz and all the rest.  I spend a lot of time in front of my computer or reading e-mail on my cell phones.  And yes, I have TWO cell phones.  One for my private use - a Blackberry.  The other for Kamps Island Flooring - an iPhone which is mainly a gadget for taking pictures and uploading to various Social Media Sites.  Great pictures - easy access to Social Media.  Not so much for e-mail.

I am just beginning a book called Who Owns the Future by Jaron Lanier.  Jaron talks about the destruction of the middle class and how it could become catastrophic in the future if huge networks are allowed to take over everything from transportation to medicine as they have done with music and newspapers.  He feels the starting point for a new discussion begins with, "Digital information is really just people in disguise."

I find that so true.  This is the reason that I subscribe to two physical newspapers to support the reporters and columnists.  Without them there would be no 'digital' news.  I am, however, discouraged with the New York Times.  I have the app on my IPhone and until recently could read 3 articles per day - now it is 10 per month.  Understandable.  However, I do have a problem which I explained to them.

I have had a stroke - it affected my right hand.  Often my phone thinks I have selected one of my 10 articles for reading when it has not.  Just an involuntary twitch.  My suggestion was that there be a 'confirmation' button to make sure the article selected was intentional.  I NEVER got a reply.  Too bad.  It is my generation that still loves the rustle of the newspaper and holding it in our hands.  The millennials could care less.  It is my generation that is a greater part of the monetary support for the New York Times.  The younger generations don't get that the phrase, "Digital information is really just people in disguise."

In response to the Times I just clear the history and cookies on Google - either on my computer or on the IPhone and read anything I want on their web page.  And I don't feel the guilt I might otherwise.  And I don't feel compelled to subscribe to them as soon as winter is over and my heating budget shrinks and I have the resources to subscribe.  Too Bad!  Survival in the digital age IS all about Customer Service.

And I cannot wait to report on the rest of my latest read!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always Love Comments - Please tell me How I am doing!!