Tuesday, November 8, 2011

COYOTES,CATS, RATS, RACCOONS and Other CRITTERS

























It is 5 am and I have been awake since 3 am when my little angel of a cat, Magic, woke me out of a sound sleep gagging - I had to put him outside so he could do his thing out there rather than on my hardwood floors.
This is nothing new. Magic is a 14 year old cat who adopted us when he was 2 years old and his original owner became ill and could not take care of him. He has always been an inside/outside cat. He is a very friendly being who talks to everyone he sees. Unfortunately there are not as many people on Pearl as there were on Agate. So he has taken to going down to North Bayfront during the day and sitting on the seawall and talking to the passers by.
All this is wonderful for him - and me. However, Magic is also a very thin cat - just like there are thin and not so thin people - there are thin and not so thin cats. Magic is skinny - but healthy - his weight has always been the same and he has access to food at home 24/7.
Unfortunately strangers look at Magic - and he does beg pitifully - and think, "He needs to be fed." They feed him and then call the number on his collar to tell me they have done so - AFTER they feed him.
This is where the problem begins. Magic is allergic to Fish, Beef, Milk and almost everything else. I know - I have paid big bucks to have him tested for allergies. The only thing he is allowed to eat is his HP Formula food. I wish it were otherwise - it is $60.00 a bag! But if he is fed ANYTHING else he leaves it on my floors within 24 hours - usually in the wee hours of the morning!!
Because of Magic I have learned that you should never feed an animal that does not belong to you. I keep treats at my house and always ask the owners before offering them. Some animals are on diets, some have health issues like Magic and some owners just prefer they don't eat anything but what they personally feed them.
And . .. . . this is a BIG and - food should never be left outside for your animals. It attracts raccoons (HUGE problem in our neighborhood), rats and possums (they live in the untrimed palm trees and any dense vegetation) and finally - and most importantly . . . COYOTES. Yes, there have been coyotes spotted on Balboa Island. I knew they lived in Back Bay, but they have found the 'jack pot' here of uncovered trash cans and food left outside for our pets. AND OUR PETS - especially cats - are becoming dessert!!
Since discovering this, I keep Magic in at night - even though he howls to go out when the raccoons and coyotes are near. And I don't even keep treats in my jar outside for the neighborhood dogs - a local critter - probably a raccoon took the lid off and ate the treats. He didn't even have the manners to put the lid back on :(
Magic used to have a collar that said, "Don't feed me - Allergy". He lost it and the backup one I had. Yesterday I ordered two more from www.K-9 Collars.com in Canada. K-9 Collars will embroider anything you want on a collar - except swear words. They even have had people put marriage proposals on their collars. So soon Magic will be a healthy cat - not so happy because no one will feed him - but much healthier. And I will get to sleep past 3 am!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always Love Comments - Please tell me How I am doing!!