Monday, March 8, 2010

Social Security

I am 63-1/2 years old. Recently I said to Mike I would be 65 in a year an a half. He replied, "I never thought I would be with a woman who was 65 years old. I actually never thought I would be 65." Who does. Who actually FEELS that old. I would love to hear any thoughts on that. Some mornings I get up and I feel 12. Some mornings 25. And then there are the mornings when everything is stiff and sore and I feel more like 85!

Speaking of 85. I was trying to explain who Anderson Cooper was to Mike last night and I 'googled' Gloria Vanderbilt, his mother. I had missed her recent book - "Obsession" - an erotic semi-autobiography. There was a picture of Gloria at 85 - I hope I look 1/10th as good as she does. What really gave me hope was the fact that she released a book at 84! I am working on mine - slowly. So maybe I will finish by 84!!

I have wandered again. Back to Social Security. Lately I have been reading a lot of articles about how the system is broken. How we need to buckle down and cut future benefits and tax the workers more or the system will fail.

No where in any of these articles did anyone mention the fact that if Social Security money had been set aside and "invested" - even in lowly savings accounts or Savings Bonds or Government Bonds - and not touched by our politicians for their pet projects - it would be fat and sassy and ready for us. We put in enough money. It would have grown. Even without the risky investment types that the Bush administration was touting for us INSTEAD of Social Security.

And why are the politicians still pushing for the much more risky model of investing ourselves. Because they have done such a horrendously terrible job of managing our money. The money could be there for us if they hadn't spent it - on other things - and on their own 'rock star' life styles.

In all of my life I have never seen the attitude that is pervasive in our country now. With Democrats and Republicans - with everyone I talk too. There is a disgust with our leaders and a feeling that they have nothing in common with us. They don't. We are just 'peasants' to them. You may have a lot of money, but you really have nothing without the power that is their drug.

As I say every day, "we need a new set of morons." People who care about this country and have no ax to grind or pet project to push. People who have no ties to the pharmaceutical industry or large corporations and banks and brokerage houses. I read about a new book I am going to read, "Where are the Customer's Yachts?" A Good Hard Look at Wall Street. (I am trying to get the Newport Beach Library to order this book) I am sure that will reinforce my opinion that "gambling" with my Social Security money in the hopes that it will make up for the politicians wasteful ways is a giant error.

What does this have to do with Balboa Island - these politicians are affecting the lives of everyone here on Balboa Island and everywhere. I hear, "I don't know what is going to happen in this country," every day from our residents. And these are the people who you would think were "rich" and didn't need Social Security or other government "aid". I know older residents who are collecting Social Security and unemployment just to survive.

I am still grateful - Sun and warm weather is coming this weekend - Daylight Savings time is Coming March 14!!! And I am still expecting the "March Miracle".

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always Love Comments - Please tell me How I am doing!!